Meet Michelle Gutierrez of Ms. Hoverfly. Following is the story of her business, how it came to be and what the future holds for her and her business.
1. Business name, description and what makes it special
Ms. Hoverfly is the name of my Virtual Assistant business. I specifically help small business owners with social media however, I also build websites, maintain websites, manage email lists, as well as a variety of projects involving everything from blog writing to surveys. I am a catch all for the small/online business owner. My VA business is unique in that I empathize greatly with each and every client; taking on their business as if it were my own. This month I started the first Ms. Hoverfly VA training course that has proven to be a huge success by not only the volume of women signed up but the wonderful feedback I am receiving from these future-parent-preneurs as well!
2. ‘Ah ha’ moment that led to launching this business:
The day that I knew I needed to start my own business was the first day I had to drop my son of at the sitters when he was only 5 weeks old.
3. Tell us about how you got your first customer.
My very first client was a referral from a friend I met through a networking group I started called, Dynamic Business Moms.
4. How do you measure success?
I feel successful when I feel balanced. If my home and family are running well, and my business is growing either by gaining new clients or helping other moms learn how to build their own VA business.
5. Ever felt like throwing in the towel?
NO. I have failed many times but giving up has never been an option. I just took my “failures” and turned them into learning experiences.
6. One thing I wish I would have known…
One thing I wish I would have known is how very hard it would be to run a business while caring for 2 young children. The learning curve has been a long one but no regrets.
7. Moving forward…
I want to grown the training side of my business. Since teaching was my first love, I find that being able to combine my business with teaching others very rewarding
8. The absolute best part of being self-employed is…
The absolute best part of being self-employed is I am in control of my children’s lives and daily activities. I get to see them grow daily and be a part of their education that is a magnificent feeling of accomplishment.
9. The absolute best part of being a parent is… watching them enjoy life and all that it has to offer. Just getting the chance to be a part of their lives and see them grow is such a blessing.
10. I never imagined…that I would ever want something more than I wanted to teach, but I did when my son was born. I wanted him more than any career or thing in this world. I would gladly give it all away again if it meant I would get to be a part of this incredible journey!